Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Thoughts











Today is Memorial Day.

Today is also my maternal grandmother's birthday. She would have been well over 100 by now, but still I remember her birthday.

I don't have too many veterans in my family. I think our age is such that my parents, aunts and uncles were too young for WWII and too old for Vietnam.

But my husband's family has several veterans in it. His father fought in the Pacific in WWII. He was in the Navy and arrived at Pearl Harbor a month or so after the attack. He was on a supply ship at Iwo Jima and he was on the Missouri when the peace treaty was signed. We didn't get a lot of details about his service from him. He said that he say too much blood and too many things that no man should ever see.

My husband's uncle was a gunner on a B-52 bomber. It's a wonder he survived the fighting. He was stationed in England and flew bombing runs over Germany and France. He used to tell us about being trained in Montana because flying over the land looked like the area in Germany where they would be flying.

No comments: